This article is dedicated to the noble work of our invaluable Barristers’ Board of Governors (“BOG”). The profound work of the BOG positively affects lawyers, law students and laymen alike. To demonstrate the lofty work of our Barristers’ BOG, let us review only about one week of the BOG’s accomplishments.
March 7 – The monthly Roxbury Park Free Legal Clinic helps the public with general legal services. It is Co-Chaired by our superb President-Elect William Wenzel and Danielle Grabois.
March 7 & 8 – Brunch for Eight is a BHBA Barristers’ program in which eight law-school students are invited to the BHBA to help them ascertain the salience of involvement in a local Bar Association and the noble work BHBA performs for “young and newer” attorneys. Two such brunches were held in March with students attending from Loyola Law School on the 7th and UCLA on the 8th. This year’s Chairperson is our able Ariadne Giannis. On both days, dignitaries from the BHBA and the Bench joined Ariadne and the students.
March 10 – Our superb Co-Chairs of the Committee for the Arts, Dira Imam and Anastasia Alen held an art and music event at the legendary House of Blues. This program was held in their architecturally beautiful Foundation Room and consisted of high quality music and ethereal artifacts put together by the homeless.
March 13 & 14 – The Barristers superbly led by Yan Goldshteyn, Lauren Gabbaian and Liana Yoon proudly represented BHBA at the UCLA Entertainment Symposium.
March 14 – Our chef extraordinaire, LeRoy Williams, chaired Samoshel at the Santa Monica Shelter. LeRoy, along with Jeanine Percival Wright (Barristers’ Past President), Jeremiah Livesay and other selfless volunteers served around 60 homeless people with a St. Patrick’s themed menu.
March 15 – Danielle Grabois, our diligent Chair of the Bench Bar Bike Ride, facilitated a fun and non-strenuous bike ride along Hermosa and Manhattan Beach.
In addition, the Barristers put on an MCLE program about how to start a law firm and another “Power Lunch” program with an entertainment “Power Lawyer,” ably Co-Chaired by Brian Schaller and Yan Goldshteyn.
Barristers have been preparing for the annual “Vintage Bouquet,” set for April 26, 2015. It is being Co-Chaired this year by our very own Dira Imam and Danielle Grabois.
Our invaluable Megan Peitzke is preparing an MCLE program with 11 judges of the West District for May 2015 on “Do’s and Don’ts” of court conduct.
Furthermore Leigh Leshner, Nick Francescon and John Grimball are planning an all-day seminar on the nuts and bolts of entertainment law for June 2015.
Thank you so much BOG for your lofty work.
Doron F. Eghbali is a Senior Partner at Law Advocate Group, LLP. He practices Business, Real Estate and Entertainment law. Contact him at DoronEghbali@LawAdvocateGroup.com, or 310 651 3065.
The Barristers Board of Governors (BOG) consists of successful and kind-hearted Barristers whose noble objective is to espouse and implement the betterment of our legal community and the community at large. We meet every second Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Beverly Hills Bar Association (BHBA). As a Barrister (i.e., younger attorney), you are welcome to attend the open part of the BOG meeting.
Invitation to BOG Meetings
We would love for you, as a diligent young lawyer, to intelligently appreciate what you are missing to further thrive personally and professionally. At the BOG meetings, we will embrace you as an honored guest and help you become acquainted with a few of our 20+ sections and committees which the Barristers run. Topics of discussion include:
- Learning how to Manage a Potential Client while Helping the Community: Become involved in our Roxbury Park Legal Clinic. Barristers meet every first Saturday of the month from 10:00 a.m. – noon to provide free general legal services to the community at large. Thanks to our invaluable President-Elect Wil S. Wenzel, and amiable Danielle Grabois, the Roxbury Clinic served at least 16 people with several lawyer volunteers, during January of 2015.
- Feeding the Homeless: Join our SaMoShel Committee. Our selfless Barristers, under tutelage of our own chef extraordinaire LeRoy Williams and selfless past president Jeanine Percival Wright, meet every second Saturday of the month at Santa Monica Shelter from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. to cook delicious food and feed at least 60 homeless people. This is a sampling of our January 2015 menu:
Mama’s Herb Roasted Chicken
Uncle Lee’s Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Grandma’s String Bean Casserole
Cousin Tommy’s Tasty Salad
Aunt Millie’s Peach Crisp
- Attending “Power Lunch” Series: You should seriously consider these revived series in which Barristers get a chance for a candid discussion with a “Power” lawyer in an informal setting to receive honest and practical answers for further professional career advancement. These series are organized by our very own superb Co-Chairs, Brian Schaller and Yan Goldshteyn, our Treasurer.
- Having Fun, Food and Wine with our Vintage Bouquet Committee: Contemplate becoming involved with our Vintage Bouquet, run by our own able and affable Co-Chairs, Danielle Grabois and Nadira Imam.
- Being a Mentee of and a Mentor to a Younger Lawyer: You may apply online at http://www.bhba.org/mentorship. Special thanks to our formidable past President, Autumn Ronda and invaluable Zev Shechtman, as Co-Chairs of the Mentorship Committee.
This list is just a small fraction of what our dedicated Barristers accomplish. Indeed, for instance, under the praiseworthy chairmanship of Autumn Ronda and Rachel Balchum, we had a very successful Grant-a-Wish drive in which we collectively fulfilled holiday wishes of thirty-nine boys ages 11-18.
If you would like to be part of our fun, fulfilling and educational committees, you should step forward and become involved. Hope to see you soon.
Doron F. Eghbali is a Senior Partner at Law Advocate Group, LLP in Beverly Hills and practices Business, Real Estate and Entertainment law. Contact him at DoronEghbali@LawAdvocateGroup.com, or 310 651 3065.
At the September installment of SaMoShel, the Barristers rang in the start of football season with wings and nachos!
The Barristers always meet on the second Tuesday of the month at OPCC SaMoShel (Santa Monica Shelter) to cook and serve a meal to as many as 60 of Santa Monica’s homeless population. Join us at our next meeting on Oct. 11, from 3-5 p.m.
We had a great turnout at our last SaMoShel event, and everyone was chopping, grilling, scooping SOMETHING to perfection. The menu was Carribean themed, and everyone we served was so greatful we even got some applause! Check out pictures from the event below, and remember: the next SaMoShel will be this weekend on August 9!
Barristers from the Beverly Hills and Santa Monica Bar Associations went head to head last Saturday in Santa Monica to play an epic game of softball. Sadly, the home team won in the last inning, with a final score of 7-6, but the weather was great, the game was a blast, and both sides came together for a pizza party afterward. Thanks to Jonathan Dennis for organizing, and stay tuned for details about a rematch later this year!
For those of you who are passionate about art, theater, film, music, and the like in addition to law, you will be happy to know that this year the Barristers Board of Governors has reinvented the Committee For the Arts (CFTA) with many thanks to our President, Autumn Ronda. The CFTA coordinates programs and events promoting important legal and social issues through the Arts. I, together with fellow Board member, Dira Imam, co-chair the committee and to start things off on a no less than fabulous note, we held our first CFTA event, “Sights and Sounds From the Courtroom” this past April 30.
In connection with the Los Angeles Law Library’s Annual Law Week, CFTA co-hosted a free reception celebrating the rule of law through the extraordinary artwork of courtroom sketch artist, Bill Robles, and the music of Gary Green, Esq. and his Big Band of Barristers. Bill Robles has sketched some of the most infamous trials of the past several decades including that of Charles Mansion, Rodney King, O.J. Simpson, Robert Blake, and Michael Jackson, among many others. Attendees were treated to a display of over 20 sketches while listening to the tunes of Gary Greene and his Big Band of Barristers as well as enjoying wine and appetizers. Additionally, Bill Robles himself was at the reception promoting The Illustrated Courtroom: 50 Years of Court Art, a recently released book featuring Bill’s art on the cover. The book has 140 illustrations featuring a range of the most memorable trials of the last 50 years, and Bill was kind enough to sign these for purchasers.
It was an unforgettable evening of art, music, law, and socializing to say the least, and a wonderful way to jump-start the CFTA. Thank you to all who attended!
For those interested in helping us plan future events, you are welcome to attend a meeting Dira and I will be having in the next month to brainstorm ideas. Please feel free to contact me (email@example.com) or Dira (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or comments!
Anastasia Alen is an attorney who works in Legal and Business Affairs at the United Talent Agency in Beverly Hills. Anastasia is a member of the Barristers Board of Governors. She is the Co-Chair for the Committee For the Arts, the Liaison for the Entertainment Law Executive Committee, and a member of the Nominating Committee. She can be reached at email@example.com or 310-210-4552.
1) A BIG CONGRATULATIONS! to everyone who passed the February Bar Exam! Welcome to the California Bar, and we hope to see you at future events.
2) A BIG CONGRATULATIONS! to everyone who graduated law school!
3) A BIG THANK YOU! to everyone who participated in the Bench Bar Bike Ride this morning! We had a great turn out, with about 21 people, and it was a positively glorious day for a bike ride in the South Bay. We had a blast!
Our next ride will be in August. Keep checking in to learn the particular date!
Join us next month at SaMoShel on June 14!